Leading causes of residential fires in Appleton and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are a wide range of hazards to think about. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can happen in any place and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded fires. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to prevent them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Appleton.
What causes residential fires in Appleton?
Fires can begin anywhere and without warning, whether caused by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or an ignored stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most common sorts of residential fires in Appleton and everywhere else. Unattended stovetops are the primary cause, so always keep an eye on that hot skillet when cooking. It’s also important to note that putting water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Area heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for lengthy time periods may result in inner parts degrading and catching fire. Worn cords and putting heaters near combustible objects like blankets or window coverings can also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as furnaces and fireplaces, may cause fires and ought to be examined periodically.
- Electrical: Old wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are some ways electrical problems cause fires. Don’t use an appliance with a tattered cord, and make certain ignitable materials like paper aren’t placed on a lampshade, get it inspected immediately.
- Candles: Wherever there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and typically result from careless behavior. Placing candles too close to flammable items like curtains or leaving them within the domain of a curious pet will often produce disastrous results.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall reduction in smoking across the country, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Nodding off with a cigarette in hand or throwing out smoldering ashes prematurely can bring about catastrophic results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Appleton is to be careful at all times. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t leave a candle burning, and properly discard cigarettes. If you need to use a space heater, do so infrequently and get one that includes an automatic shut-off switch in the event it tips over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Appleton
You ought to have smoke detectors on all floors and think about installing more next to sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only detect smoke but can also be tripped due to extreme heat. In addition, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring representatives whenever an emergency occurs. This is a notable perk, specifically when you’re not there to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.
Protect against various risks with a Vivint smart home in Appleton
Upgrade the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant notifications to your mobile device and the 24-hour support that comes with professional monitoring. Dial (920) 259-2449 to get started.